WHAT TO DO WITH NUCLEAR WASTE?
- STOP GENERATING IT!
- Nuclear waste is the most lethal poison known in the history of man. When stored, it will be 10,000 to 250,000 years before the earth is safe again.
- KEEP IT WHERE IT IS GENERATED!
- Store the material at the plants. This material is too dangerous to be transported on our highways and railways, thereby exposing others to the hazards.
- Get Nuclear Free Zone laws passed by tribal governments.
- Prevent the acceptance of high-level radioactive waste on Indian Lands.
- Work with local activists and Indian groups to inform tribal menbership about radioactive hazards.
- Prepare and conduct community meetings at remaining MRS sites.
- Conduct Nuclear Free Zone trips around the United States.
- Work with local and national media to spotlight local efforts and generate awareness of our movement and activities.
- Make presentations at appropriate conferences.
- Support efforts in Congress and U.S. federal agencies to do away with the public or 'private' program of seeking MRS sites on Indian lands.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
- Become an anti-nuclear advocate in your area by sharing information with others and spreading the word. Help educate others about these issues. Network with environmentalists in your area.
- If the utilities in your area negotiating with Tribes to dispose of their nuclear wastes on Indian Lands, encourage them NOT to do so.
YOUR TRIBE YOUR TOWN
"Indians have long been known for their reverence to the land. By declaring their lands nuclear free, the tribes will give a strong message to the federal government and the nuclear industry." ... Grace Thorpe
A NUCLEAR FREE ZONE!
Tribal Councils or individual tribal members who wish to declare or would like copies of (NFZ) tribal resolutions may write or call:
2213 W, 8th Street
Prague, OK 74864
YOUR HELP IS NEEDED
Be a : National Environmental Coalition of Native America supporter.
- Make a donation
- help educate others (enclose $5 for Infornation Packet to be sent to you)
- ask how to organize a rally in your area
- make an 'in-kind' contribution of time, talents, or materials (such as stamps, office supplies, plane tickets, use of credit card, printing, stationary, etc.)
- A petition regarding nuclear waste you can print out.
- Tees, vids, stickers, and kits to inform, educate, and show your support of NECONA.
Walk in beauty